I am looking for a dirty, ‘been in the field a while’ look for my vehicles like in the image below.
Note the dirt/dust gathered on the roadwheels and on the flat surfaces of the tank. My airbrushes are having issues and I did not want to drybrush these so i used the Tamiya weathering chalks.
My first run at these was only moderately successful as the spray dullcote and clear coat washed lot of the chalks away. Here’s the process I finally followed to get the results below.
- Spray and detail the basic details (roadwheels, MGs),
- Sprayed light coat of gloss coat,
- Do pin wash (outlining the features with watered down black ink),
- Spray Dullcote on the entire surface,
- Add the weathering chalks and do a light spray of Dullcote from 10-12 inches away,
- Redo the chalks and since everyone in my house is sick, I held them over the humidifier for a few seconds to seal the chalks.
The center tank is the result up through step 5. Not bad but not what I was looking for.
The end tanks are the result of step 6 and more of the dirty in the field look I wanted.