I have spent the last few months trying to complete an ACW project that has been underway for a while. I bought the figures back in 1986??? and they have been in storage since then. Fire and Fury (FnF) was all the rage and I wanted to get a sizeable force for both sides of the conflict, so I picked up a lot of MiniFigs, Stone Mountain, and some other figures (but I have no clue who made them).
As I was starting I inventoried my figures and organized them into brigades of 24 or so for infantry and 12 for cavalry. I ended up with 30 or so infantry brigades, 6 cav brigades with dismounted equivalents and about 16 artillery batteries. Of course, I had as many general officer figures as both sides together had generals.
I have only 6 brigades left to paint as of today and 12 batteries so I took a break and set up a solo game. Our local group has been using Black Powder (BP) for Napoleonics and since the unit sizes translated easily into BP scale I decided to use those rules instead of FnF.
I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of 15mm terrain I had on hand but ordered a few more JR Miniature buildings to round them out. To my horror, they were bigger than the ones I had on hand and looked way out of proportion. Then I decided, what the heck, it’s a game, the pieces just have to be used on different areas of the battlefield! The picture to the left shows the smallest JR building I just purchased and that is closest in size to the earlier purchases. The one to the right shows the two largest buildings compared to the ones I had previously.
More on the battle in the next post….