I have done more work on the book – some tightening of the details, and painting more of the book. The picture to the left shows how I am handling the page border. I used brown liner to separate the gold from the parchment pages. What did *not* turn out well and shows graphically here are the pages. I used too thin a paint on them. The shading looks good when not viewed under a camera, but the paint “glopped” and is not smooth. I think it will not be noticeable once completed. I have yet to decide how or what I am going to put on for the text. The sides of the book are better now as I took the liner and redid the lines between the pages.
|I also redid the tops of the pages. As you can see in the picture to the left, I took the liner brush and made the edges of the pages smoother by filling in with brown liner. I think they look much better and I am satisfied with them.|
I also spent some time working on the back side of the book. I outlined the edges with new gold and then ran a dark line on the inside of the gold. The book was shaded from earth brown at the top to dark shadow at the bottom of the book cover. The skull was outlined with brown liner, painted with earth brown and then highlighted up to a light color of bleached bone. The left picture shows the transition from earth brown to dark shadow on the left cover. The right picture shows details of the fire and my approach to it. It also shows the outlining around the gold.
And as an aside, it is painful to look at these pictures after seeing the miniature. It looks good using the naked eye, but the macro lens brings out all of the flaws in the paint job!